The Allure of the Automobile Exhibition to Open At the High Museum of Atlanta
The Allure of the Automobile presents 18 of the world's rarest and most brilliantly conceived cars from the 1930s to the mid-1960s, including masterpieces by Bugatti, Duesenberg, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and Ferrari. The exhibition traces the evolution of the motorcar, examining the contrasts between European and American design, and significant changes in automotive styling and engineering before and after World War II.
The featured automobiles have won awards at prestigious events such as the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, broken records on racetracks, and were previously owned by such noted car enthusiasts as Hollywood legends Clark Gable and Steve McQueen.
The Examples in Allure of the Automobile
• 1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow
• 1934 Packard Twelve Runabout Speedster, formerly owned by Clark Gable
• 1935 Duesenberg JN Roadster, formerly owned by Clark Gable
• 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Special Roadster
• 1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante Coupe
• 1937 Delage D8-120S, Surbaisse, formerly owned by Louis Delage
• 1937 Hispano-Suiza H-6C "Xenia" Coupe
• 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C2900B Touring Berlinetta
• 1938/39 Porsche Type 64 Coupe replica
• 1953 Porsche 550 Le Mans/La Carrera Panamerica Coupe
• 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SLR "Uhlenhaut" Coupe
• 1957 Jaguar XKSS Roadster, formerly owned by Steve McQueen
• 1961 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
• 1961 Ferrari 250 Short-Wheelbase Berlinetta, "SEFAC Hot Rod"
• 1948 Tucker Model 48 Torpedo
• 1954 Dodge Firearrow III Concept Coupe
• 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham
• 1959 Chevrolet Corvette "Bill Mitchell" Stingray Prototype
The Allure of the Automobile runs between March 21 and June 20, 2010